This is a beautiful, light cake. Best eaten slightly warm with some cream or custard, but still yummy when cold.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan oven/200ºC/gas 6. Grease and line a 20 x 30 cm baking tray.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well in between.
- Add the almond essence, almonds, flour, baking powder and water and gently fold in.
- Spread out evenly in the baking tray. Press the pears and the pecans into the top of the mixture and sprinkle the sugar over the top.
- Place in the oven for 35 minutes, the cake should be gently browned and the pears tender. Leave to cool before cutting into slices.
- Serve with either custard or double cream.