- Heat 2 tablespoons of the sesame oil in a large frying pan or wok. Add the rice and cook until it absorbs the oil.
- Add the cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, lime leaves, coconut milk and water. Season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Simmer, with a lid on the pan, for 12 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, thinly slice the pak choi and place on top of the rice, cover with the pan lid and leave to stand.
- Heat the other 2 tablespoons of sesame oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms and fry for 1 minute, stirring frequently to make sure the ginger does not burn.
- Add the prawns and fry until they turn pink. Add the lime juice and the fish sauce. Cook until the sauce bubbles.
- Pile on top of the rice and sprinkle the coriander over.
King Prawns in Coconut Rice with pak choi and mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 mugs basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 lime leaves
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- 2 mugs water
- salt and pepper
- 2 pak choi
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 fat red chilli, finely chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- 500g raw king prawns
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- juice of a lime
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander