- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan oven/200ºC/gas 6.
- Line a 20 x 30cm baking tray, with greaseproof paper or a teflon sheet.
- To make the pastry, put the butter and flour in a food processor and pulse until it looks like breadcrumbs. Add the beaten egg and the water. Pulse until the mixture forms a ball. Do not overwork at this point.
- Tip onto a floured surface and roll out to 2 mm thick. Line the bottom of the baking tray.
- Spread the jam over the pastry.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well.
- Add the flour, ground almonds and baking powder and fold in gently. Pour the jam over and spread evenly.
- Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes. The sponge should spring back when gently touched and the top sould be golden brown.
- Once cooled, spread the icing over the top. Sprinkle over with the flaked almonds.
- 100g butter
- 1 1/3 mugs/200g self raising flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 100g softened butter
- 2/3 mug/150g castor sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 mug/85g self raising flour
- 2/3 mug/85g ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 mugs/300g icing sugar for topping, mixed with 2-3 tablespoons water to make a stiff paste.
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds