You really need a cake tin to store these in once they are cooked or they may not last for a day. Ours managed to spread over two days as our resident, infamous chocoholic was absent the day they were made.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan oven/200ºC/gas 6. Grease 2 baking trays.
- Beat the butter and sugar together. Add the vanilla extract and the egg, beat well.
- Add the flour, smarties, oats and cocoa. Mix to a stiff dough.
- Roll into a 30cm sausage and cut into about 24 cookies. Place on the baking trays. Leave space between them as they spread out. Press a few smarties in each to decorate.
- Place in the oven for 12 minutes. The cookies should be crisp on the outside and a little chewy on the inside.