Beautiful fresh summer dessert, the sponge base is much lighter than the traditional biscuit bases. Really easy to make too.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC fan/220ºC/gas 7. Grease and line a 20cm round, loose bottomed cake tin.
- To make the base, beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl, with an elelctric mixer, until the mixture is thick and pale in colour. Gently fold in the flour. Pour into the cake tin and place in the oven for 15 minutes. Take out and leave to cool in the tin.
- Mix the cream cheese with the lemon juice and rind.
- Pick out the best of the strawberries to decorate the top. Roughly chop the rest (approximately half of them) and fold into the cream cheese mixture.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream and sugar until it forms soft peaks. Fold the cream and strawberry mixture together. The lemon juice should cause the cream to thicken.
- Place on top of the sponge and spread evenly. Place the strawberries, point upwards, on the top of the cake.
- Place in the fridge for 3 hours to set. Gently remove from the tin and transfer to a plate.