- To Make the pastry, Cut the butter into small pieces and add them and the flour to a bowl.
- ‘Rub in’ the butter and flour using your fingers and thumbs. Don’t use the palms of yours hands as they will be warm. Keep going until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Alternatively place in a food processor and blitz.
- Add the egg and sufficient water to make a soft dough (you don’t want it to be wet though). Turn out onto a floured board and squash together. Handle as little as possible, don’t knead the dough.
- Cover with cling film and pop in the bridge for around 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 180ºC fan oven/200ºC/gas 6.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or wok. Fry the onions and leeks until they begin to soften.
- Add the chicken and the mushrooms and cook until the chicken is no longer pink.
- Add the flour and mix well. Add the cream and stock. Bring to the boil, the sauce should thicken. Take off the heat, season well with salt and pepper and add the herbs. Transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Roll out the pastry and place on top of the casserole. Make a small hole in the centre to allow the steam to escape. Pinch the edges and brush with the beaten egg.
- Place in the oven for 25–30 minutes, the pastry should be
Simple Chicken and Leek Pie Recipe
- 2 mugs/340g self-raising flour
- 175g cold butter (measure using packet) or white Flora
- 1 beaten egg + 1⁄4 mug water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 dessertspoon flour
- 300ml pot of double cream
- 1 tablespoon concentrated chicken stock or a chicken stock cube
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley or basil
- 1 beaten egg, to brush the top