- Put the pears in a saucepan with the butter, sugar, star anis, lemon juice, apple juice and vanilla. Simmer for 10 minutes. Leave to cool. Take the pears out and drain but retain the juices.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan oven/200ºC/gas 6.
- Make the pastry, either by hand or in a food processor (see page ??). Roll out and line a 20cm loose bottomed flan ring. Bake blind with baking beans for 12 minutes. Spoon the pears into the tart, but not the liquid. Sprinkle the chopped macadamians over the top. Place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the juices to reduce them to a syrup.
- Drizzle the syrup over the cooked tart. Return to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Pear Tart with macadamians
- 5 ripe pears, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 50g butter
- 1/3 mug/65g caster sugar
- 2 star anise
- juice of a lemon
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 360g GF plain flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 175g butter
- 1 egg
- 100ml cold water
- 50g macadamina nuts, roughly chopped