Random fact for you…well not so random as we are talking about Stifado, “Stifado”, pronounced “stifatho” is Greek, basically meaning a stew with lots of small onions, for me I think the greeks must have had a lot of time on their hands to think up a word specifically for a stew with small onions, I wonder what a Greek stew with large onions is called…
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan oven/200ºC/gas 6.
- Heat the oil in a hob to oven casserole dish. Fry the shallots whole for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lamb and fry until it is no longer pink on the outside.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, garlic, tomato purée, stock cube, wine, wine vinegar, sugar, cinnamon stick, cloves and bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Place in the oven for 90 minutes.
- Take the casserole out of the oven and stir in the yoghurt and parsley.
- Serve with rice and green veg.