- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan oven/200ºC/gas 6. Grease a 23cm spring-form tin with butter.
- Simmer the rice in, 2 mugs of water, for 10 minutes and then drain if necessary. Leave to one side until needed.
- Heat the oil in a large wok and fry the squash until it begins to soften.
- Add the leeks and chilli and cook until everything begins to brown.
- Take off the heat and add the spinach and stir until it wilts a little.
- Add the rice, pine nuts, Parmesan, eggs, creme fraiche, and basil. Mix together.
- Undo the packet of filo. Taking one sheet at a time brush with melted butter and arrange in the spring-form tin, so that there is enough to fold over the top, let the last few sheets hang over the side.
- Pour the filling into the middle and spread out evenly. Fold over the pastry and brush again with some of the melted butter.
- Place in the preheated oven for 45 – 50 minutes. The pastry should be golden brown and the filling set a little. Loosen the sides of the tin and slide the pie onto a plate to serve.
Butternut Squash Filo Pie with rice and spinach
- 1 mug arborio (risotto) rice, cooked in 2 mugs water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into bite sized chunks.
- 2 leeks, peeled and chopped into rings
- 1 large fat red chilli, deseeded and chopped (optional)
- 200g pack fresh spinach
- 100g pack pine nuts
- 1 mug/100g grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- 1 x 270g pack filo pastry
- 50g butter, melted
- salt and pepper